From Nuclear Heritage
some historic keypoints:
- 21.12.1972: The Ministry of Trade and Industry gave principle approval for building a nuclear power plant.
- 1973: The Parliament approved TVO's proposal of acquisition of an area at Olkiluoto.
- 31.1.1974: The Ministry of Trade and Industry granted construction license for Olkiluoto 1 (OL1) in accordance with the Atomic Energy Act.
- 1.2.1974: OL1's foundation stone was laid.
- 6.7.1978: The Council of State granted an operation licence for OL1.
- 2.9.1978: OL1 was connected to the national grid for the first time. The power plant unit achieved full capacity for the first time in January 8, 1979.
- 10.10.1979: OL1 was introduced into commercial operation.
- 17.5.1984: The Council of State granted permission for increased power level for OL1 and OL2 power plant units.
- 29.9.1987: Spent fuel was transferred for the first time from the plant to the Interim Storage Facility for Spent Fuel (KPA-Store).
- 15.12.1988: The Council of State granted an operation licence for 10 years for OL1 and OL2 power plant units.
- 29.9.1989: Total production of Olkiluoto nuclear power plant reached 100 TWh.
- 16.3.1990: Training simulator was taken into use at Olkiluoto.
- 8.5.1992: The first waste transfer to the low and medium-level nuclear waste repository (VLJ) was made.
- 1998: Total production of Olkiluoto nuclear power plant reached 200 TWh.
- 20.8.1998: The Council of State granted a new operation licence for OL1 and OL2 power plant units and the KPA-Store as well as for the low and medium-level waste interim storages.
- 1998: Modernization programme of the power plant units, which lasted four years, was completed. After the modernization, the power level is 840 MW it is 18.3 per cent higher than the earlier nominal power level.
- 5.12.1999: A certificate based on the ISO 14001 standard was granted to the Olkiluoto nuclear power plant.
- 26.4.2005: Total electricity production of OL1 and OL2 reached 300 TWh.
- 1.6.2006: Modernization programme of the Olkiluoto power plant units was completed. After the modernization the nominal power level is 860 MW.
- 2009: The production of electricity of the Olkiluoto nuclear power plant in 2009 was the highest in the history of the operational history. The total annual production of the power plant units was 14.5 TWh. The two units produce annually some sixth of the electricity in Finland.
- ↑ http://www.tvo.fi/www/page/2855/ - December 10, 2010
- ↑ TVO: Pocket Guide 2010; Eura Print Oy, 2010