Walkatjurra Walkabout – Walking for Country 2015
- Walkatjurra Walkabout in Australia from Wiluna to Leonora on August 16 - September 19, 2015
- more information: http://walkingforcountry.com
Walkatjurra Walkabout – Walking for Country
is a celebration of Wangkatja country, a testament to the strength of the community who have fought to stop uranium mining at Yeelirrie for over forty years, and a chance to come together to continue share our commitment to a sustainable future without nuclear. It is a chance to reconnect with the land, and to revive the tradition of walking for country.
- Walking for country is to reconnect people with land and culture. The Walkatjurra Walkabout is a pilgrimage across Wangkatja country in the spirit of our ancestors so together, we as present custodians, can protect our land and our culture for future generations.
- My people have resisted destructive mining on our land and our sacred sites for generations. For over forty years we have fought to stop uranium mining at Yeelirrie, we stopped the removal of sacred stones from Weebo and for the last twenty years we have stopped destruction of 200 sites at Yakabindie. We are not opposed to responsible development, but cannot stand wanton destruction of our land, our culture, and our environment.
- We invite all people, from all places, to come together to walk with us, to send a clear message that we want the environment here, and our sacred places left alone.
- Kado Muir, Traditional Owner, Yeelirrie
Join us for a one month walk from Wiluna to Leonora from August 16th – September 19th. This walk will be lead by the Walkatjurra Rangers, in partnership with Footprints for Peace, Western Australian Nuclear Free Alliance (WANFA), the Anti Nuclear Alliance of Western Australia (ANAWA) and the Conservation Council of Western Australia (CCWA).