Atomic Threats In The Baltic Sea Region/Working meetings/Fourth meeting/Ostrovets
From Nuclear HeritageJump to navigationJump to search
presentation on Ostrovets NPP provided from Belarusian anti-nuclear organizer:
Belarus antinuclear campaign
- NPP construction in Belarus
- started in Ostrovetsky district of Grodno region 2009
- The works on NPP infrastructure construction (roads, communications ets.) started summer 2009 before:
- EIA procedures by Aarhus and Espoo were even started,
- the project was developed and license issued.
- Facilities for NPP construction (mini-plant for concrete production) were finished by summer 2011 before the project were done and license issued.
- 1st reactor building construction was started 31 May 2012 - 6 month before the project description was finished and more than 1 year before the license was issued.
- Belarus antinuclear campaign, Ecohome
- Belarus antinuclear campaign is not an organization. It is a public campaign.
- Our main aim is to stop NPP construction in Belarus, cancel all the decisions, related to NPP construction in Belarus.
- We are for the nuclear free development!
- The decisions in Belarus antinuclear campaign are taken by consensus of main participants. Each participant can suggest an action or activity and discuss with the others.
- Ecohome coordinates the BANC activities.
- NGO Ecohome initiated Belarus antinuclear campaign (BANC), inviting civil society representatives on the meeting in Kiev in autumn 2008. The same year Belarus president Lukashenko took the so-called "final political decision" to construct in Belarus Nuclear Power Plant.
- By the end of 2009 in BANC participated:
- Public Association Ecohome
- Movement Scientists for Nuclear free Belarus
- Belarusian Green Party
- Public campaign "Ostrovets NPP – is the crime!"
- By the 26th 2012 political parties and movements started interact with BANC in Chernobyl Shliah organizing.
- 2009 organized EIA Critic of official EIA and its discussion
- 2010 organized Public independent expertise of official EIA and promoted it in other countries during EIA consultations and hearings
- December 2011 organized an International conference on the atom industry problems in Vilnius
- 2009-2014 street actions, demonstrations, rallies were hold in Belarus, Russia, Lithuania, Germany and other countries
- September 2009 Andrey Ozharovsky was arrested for 7 days in Ostrovets.
- August 2012 Andrey Ozharovsky (10), Tatyana Novikova (5), Irina Sukhy (fined) and Mihail Matskevich (5) were arrested
- Public expertize and EIA critic presentation in Vilnius (2010), Vienna (2010)
- Vilnius, 26 April 2010
- Moscow, autumn 2012
- Shernobyl Sliah 2012
- Chernobyl Shliah 2013
- NPP construction in Belarus
- 29 June 2011 the Aarhus Convention Compliance Committee took decision, that Belarus violated Convention during NPP construction.
- 15 March 2013 the Espoo Convention Compliance Committee took decision, that Belarus violated Convention during NPP construction.
- 28 June - 2 July 2014 the Aarhus decision will adopt by the MOP (meeting of parties).
- 2-5 June 2014 the Espoo decision will adopt by the MOP.
- How to help?
- We need strong position of the EU and UNECE bodies on the Belarus NPP question.
- Could help: letters to government, public statements, media publications, and street actions in EU countries before the MOPs conventions meetings.
- more information: http://www.atomby.net
You can download the presentation held on May 9, 2014 in pdf format.