PR:The Calendar for SÚRAO: Our Secure Future Without Geological Disposal Facility
Joint Press Release by Representatives of Municipalities and Associations of December 17, 2015
The Calendar for SÚRAO: Our Secure Future Without Geological Disposal Facility
The Radioactive Waste Repository Authority (SÚRAO) gets an unusual Christmas gift in the form of a 2016 calendar. It was dedicated to it by representatives of municipalities and associations from all seven sites, which have been identified by SÚRAO as potentially suitable for the construction of a permanent geological disposal facility for spent fuel. Every month, the images in the calendar will remind SÚRAO of that people oppose the state procedure for the following reasons:
1. The State decides against the people’s will. The State decides against the people’s will. SÚRAO proceeds in spite of the will of residents in communities which are threatened by the construction of the geological disposal facility. In 2016, it plans to start geological surveys. SÚRAO does not respect the results of 28 existing local referendums  and the views of local municipalities and associations. As a result, the established exploration areas in all seven sites have been challenged by lawsuits filed in by total of 18 municipalities and 6 associations and other associations are joining lawsuits as parties involved.
2. More appropriate statutory rules have not been accepted. SÚRAO continues with the geological surveys without having resolved the situation with legislatively unequal roles of municipalities and the state. A bill to strengthen the rights of municipalities, prepared by Working Group for Dialogue on Geological Disposal Facility (GDF) , has still a long and uncertain journey through the Government and Parliament.
3. It is not clear based on what criteria the State decides in 2017 which of today's sites will stay on shortlist and how the planned geological surveys will contribute to a short-listing process. Yet, it is a key process, after which work towards GDF will continue in some of today's localities and elsewhere people will take a rest.
There is no nationwide discussion on disposal of spent nuclear fuel, which would involve not only the residents of the affected areas but also scientists, journalists and the general public. Transferring the consequences of irresponsible actions by the State on several villages which have no legal possibility of influencing their decision-making in the future, is unacceptable.
Additional information may be provided by:
- Petr Klásek Černický, Mayor of Chanovice, email: obec DOT chanovice AT email DOT cz, tel.: +420 606 745 795
- Jan Vavřička, Mayor of Pačejov, email: starosta AT pacejov DOT cz, tel.: +420 606 794 046
- František Kába, NGO Nuclear Waste - No, thanks! (JODN), email: Frantisek DOT Kaba AT net4gas DOT cz, tel.: +420 731 609 596
- Pavel Pavlík, NGO SOS Lubenec, email: p DOT pavlik AT atlas DOT cz, tel.: +420 720 229 825
- Jitka Kantová, NGO Za záchranu kostela sv. Jiljí, email: skloart AT skloart DOT cz, tel.: +420 603 818 185
- Petr Nohava, Deputy Mayor of Pluhův Žďár, email: p DOT nohava AT gmail DOT com, tel.: +420 720 578 341
- Zdeněk Leitner, Mayor of Okrouhlá Radouň, email: leitnerzd AT seznam DOT cz, tel.: +420 607 711 684
- Michal Šimůnek, NGO Za Radouň krásnější, email: simnuek DOT michal AT gmail DOT com, tel.: +420 777 044 039
- Milan Vopálenský, Deputy Mayor of Nový Rychnov, email: milan DOT vopalensky AT seznam DOT cz, tel.: +420 606 722 266
- Jana Vitnerová, NGO Bezjaderná vysočina, email: vitnerova AT seznam DOT cz, tel.: +420 775 315 818
- Alena Slavingerová, NGO 2. Alternativa, email: slavingerova AT seznam DOT cz, tel.: +420 605 460 900
- Marta Rémanová, NGO Nechceme úložiště Kraví hora, email: MartaRemanova AT seznam DOT cz, tel.: +420 608 042 532
- Vladimír Mašek, Mayor of Jistebnice, email: starosta AT jistebnice DOT cz, tel.: +420 602 442 799
- Marie Šittová, Village Council of Makov, email: majasitova AT seznam DOT cz, tel.: +420 776 707 268
- Jiří Popelka, NGO Zachovalý kraj, email: popelka DOT jiri AT centrum DOT cz, tel.: +420 739 339 028
- The results of local referendums on geological disposal facility on http://www.nechcemeuloziste.cz/cs/dokumenty/stanoviska-a-petice/vysledky-referend-v-jednotlivych-lokalitach.html
- Working Group for Dialogue on Geological Disposal Facility: http://www.surao.cz/cze/Pracovni-skupina
- For protection against automatic email address robots searching for addresses to send spam to them this email address has been made unreadable for them. To get a correct mail address you have to displace "AT" by the @-symbol and "DOT" by the dot-character (".").